Tuesday 5 February 2008

I survived the steeking

It's done.

I've cut.

And I've gotta say, I felt fine until I started cutting. I was excited and nervous but felt good. Then the enormity of cutting my knitting started to sink in as I heard that chillingly real snipping sound.

And I'm sitting here, still wondering if it's all ok. I think it is. Have a look. Sean took all the photos and video footage. He was his usual calm and supportive self.



I was using small, sharp scissors, trying really hard not to cut the crocheted stitches. I snipped a few of them a little but I don't think it's irreparable.

We took some footage of me cutting but it seems unwilling to upload. If you could see it, you'd probably hear the sound of my heart beating. I'm surprised I managed to speak throughout it at all.

Here, we're half way through. So far so good.



And here we are at the end, where the neck decreases have opened up and shown at last the shape of the neck. Pretty cool, huh?



And here I am, glass of red in hand, surveying the work. I think you can tell from the look on my face, I'm struggling to figure out what I make of it all.


I think it's still too soon to be on a real high about it. I think my prediction that it would be an anti-climax is close to the truth. OK, not quite an anti-climax, but I feel like I haven't quite let go of my breath yet.

You see, I think I did something wrong. I did the crochet part in cotton and it doesn't felt or cling to the stitches I cut. They're kind of slippery and slipping out. See?

Why didn't I think of that when I was so happily crocheting up the steek panel last night?


Maybe once I tuck them in under the the edge, they'll hold ok. There's a few of them running up the length of the edge. If they don't hold, I'm sure there's a way to secure them a little better. Damn, I should think more.

Right now, the jacket is sitting where I left it on the table and I dare not touch it. The next step is knitting up the rest of the neck (including purling in fair isle, another new skill). Sean is cooking dinner and I think I need to knit a dishcloth and finish my glass of red. I've probably added enough new skills to my repertoire for one night!

Thanks for all the excitement and support and encouragement. It was lovely.

Bells